Saturday, September 20, 2008

One Month Down and Still Spelling "Honour" Like a Brit

We made it past the one-month mark! David and I arrived in Dallas on August 18th so we have officially been south of the border for a month. And still going strong! I don't think I merit the term "buried" in work yet, but close. I spent today in the library studying facsimiles of Beethoven's sketchbooks and autograph scores (very cool) and am now taking notes for my Old Testament class. I'm reading about the various sources that went together to form the Pentateuchal (big word – master's student) narrative, such as the Yahwistic "J" source and the Priestly "P" source. P is where we get cut-and-dried descriptions and brisk storytelling ("God did this, God made that, God rested") where as J is lyric and personal, with God walking in the garden in the cool of the day and animals talking. I find it all really exciting to learn about.

Next week I'm looking forward to preparing to conduct the Adagio from Daniel Pinkham's Christmas Cantata (which is serene and mysterious) and helping out with Perkins' symposium on Olivier Messiaen. I get to sell tickets and play techie by providing the sound clips for a paper session. Go me. :) Dr. Anderson sent out a list of tasks he hoped we MSMs would take care of, as long as we felt capable of carrying them out "with Stalinesque precision." I like his style.

...and furthermore, yesterday I got a pair of Steve Madden tapioca-brown Mary Janes on sale at Macy's for twenty bucks. Oh yeah oh yeah - I think I'll stay down here for a while.

No comments: