Friday, December 12, 2008

"Are there any more you can sing to 'Yellow Rose of Texas'?"


The great thing about your Master's degree is the more personal relationship you get to form with your professors. They aren't just lecturers; they're mentors and colleagues. You can have a conversation with them, get to know them... party with them!



(Okay lame setup; sorry. End-of-term punchiness.)


Here are a few pictures from our end-of-term shindig at Dr. Anderson's house. All the MSMs and spouses came out to have some mulled wine, apple cider and... Sonny Bryan's authentic Texan BBQ. It was a fun night, and I was a hit with my appetizer à la Aunt Jane in Sudbury. Although, it was a near disaster - mom had written to me earlier in the day with the recipe but had said to put one large or two small cloves in the cream cheese. She sent two frantic emails and even made a long-distance call to make sure I knew it was cloves of garlic, not cloves. That would have been a really weird appetizer... luckily, I did know the recipe well enough that I had assumed she meant garlic. (If you are finding this report trivial... I think you're on the wrong blog.)

A little tired from the end of term!


Do not adjust your set; twin Catholic Louisianan organists.

Darnell sat down in the middle and put his arms around them and Nick (on the left) looked confused and everybody laughed... and it is all preserved for posterity right here on my blog.



So, we had a great time relaxing together, profs and all, and capped it off with some caroling in the neighbourhood. We were lead by Dr. Anderson's cutie daughter, who was dressed appropriately for the occasion. She had apparently gone around earlier in the day to leave notes at people's houses telling (warning) them we were coming.






In true Dr. Hawn fashion, it was a very special brand of carolling; we sang all of our songs to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas." Joy to the World; It Came Upon a Midnight Clear; even Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer - all to a tune which everybody (excluding two confused Canadians) knew beforehand and which I now will never forget. We of course had a little rehearsal beforehand. Dr. Hawn corrected a wrong note in the melody; Chelsea asked if we could count sing; Tyler requested to go through the tune to the syllable "do"... Ulston asked how you spell "do". I know; we're a hilarious bunch. Consider also that all of these carols were accompanied by Dr. Hawn's accordion. This being Texas, I was pretty much convinced we were going to be chased off at least one property with a shotgun.



It was a fun night and a great way to cap off the term. I also got to see Dr. Anderson's beautiful house organ; I knew you would want to see it so I carefully documented it. I had never heard of a house organ before coming to Perkins, and now I know two or three people who have one. It's all the rage, really.


Now, two exams and one cold later, I am done for the term! First term of my Master's degree is all wrapped up - I'm ready for a nap. ;)

1 comment:

Karin said...

Congratulations on your end of term! You deserve it. It's sounds like you've been having a great time despite the workload. And I here you've been doing very well at it. I'm not surprised!

Enjoy your holiday. Getting ready for Christmas must be quite different in Texas. The carolling sure is. Christmas parties must be fun wherever you are in the world...especially if there's singing involved.

Peace and blessings to both of you.
XOOXKarin