Monday, February 7, 2011

Meet Henry the Hoover


On our exhausting first day in our apartment, when we had moved in, rearranged the furniture, washed all the dishes, made the bed, tried in vain to understand how the heating system worked, and a host of other move-in-day tasks, I said to David, "I'm going to keep Henry in my closet."

At this point, I'm sure David thought I had lost it.  The look on his face said it all.

I said "that's the vacuum cleaner, his name is Henry."  Same look, though maybe intensified a little.  "Oh no," I could almost hear him thinking, "she's naming the household appliances now."

No really!!  Our vacuum cleaner has a little smiley face and his named Henry.  Henry the Hoover.  Like seriously, I did not make this up, it says Henry right on him.


Okay, so I think that made David feel (marginally) better about my sanity.  Apparently this is a very popular line of "hoovers" here in the UK; some are named Henry and some (pink ones) are named Hetty.  You can get Henry in a variety of colours.  But not this one - he's ours.

1 comment: