Sunday, March 20, 2011

I got a job!

London Victoria Rail Station

I am happy to report that after two months of searching, I have found a job in London.

The UK was hit hard by the economic crisis in the last couple of years, and they are only slowly recovering.  As a result, job competition is fierce here.  Even after I got hooked up with a recruitment agency (Reed - they are great) no placements, even short-term temporary ones, seemed to be forthcoming.  I had a couple of possibilities that didn't materialize (thanks anyway for coaching me to be interviewed by the Salvation Army, Aunt Mary Ellen!) and an interview that was not successful, but other than that - zip.

That is why I am so pleased to have been offered a position as Office Manager at Alma Consulting Group.  I work four days a week and am covering a maternity leave.  It is a UK subsidiary of an international company based in France - so I'm called upon to use my French in this position, which is great!

The offices are in the coolest location, right by Victoria Station.  It is a snap for me to get to work in the mornings, luckily by train rather than the less convenient (at least for us) tube.  I cross the Thames every morning on the way to work!

The way the job came about was dramatic (maybe that's always how it goes): I found out on Thursday that I had the interview, was interviewed on Monday, was offered the position that afternoon (I was the last person to be interviewed) and started work the next morning.  The person taking her maternity leave only had four days left in the office, so we worked together feverishly to prepare me to take over from her.  I think I caught most of it.  We'll see!  ;)

I am really grateful to have found this job and to be working to support our time here in London.  And so far, I'm really enjoying the job and will hopefully make a useful contribution to the company.  Yay!

Headed to work with all the millions of other people.


Headed to work (though I later figured out there's a shorter way).  There are some food places in behind that colourful thing where I sometimes get my lunch.

Big Ben?  No, but sorta.

 Passing by the Victoria Palace Theatre, where Billy Elliot is playing to rave reviews.


 Cute Italian place around the corner from my work - David and I went here to celebrate after I got my job.

No comments: