Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Norwich Cathedral


After a brief return to the real world in those nebulous days between Christmas and New Year's, David and I jumped on a bus to make the 3-hour trip to Norwich. Our final destination will be discussed in an upcoming post (ooh the suspense), but I asked if we could make a side trip so I could snap a few photos of Norwich Cathedral. This Norman-era building is made famous through its association with figures such as Julian of Norwich, nurse Edith Cavell, and St Fursey, an Irish monk credited with doing much to establish Christianity in England. As it happened, I was in the midst of writing an article which had bearing on Norwich Cathedral, in terms of the circumstances surrounding the commission of Fred Pratt Green's "It is God who holds the nations in the hollow of his hand." (Intrigued? You'll have to read the April-May edition of The Chorister to find out more!)


I couldn't resist the opportunity, since we were going to be just around the corner, to go see the cathedral and snap a few photos for my article. Oh baby, primary research at its finest. Luckily, my fellow-travelers were willing to humour me.



We happened to arrive right when the afternoon light was at its most golden (though I'm not sure my camera did this justice) and when the cathedral's bells were tolling.


Thanks for coming along, travel buddy!
The afternoon light was so beautiful
One of two striking figures on either side of the entrance.

Opposite the cathedral

No comments: